Bird’s Eye View of the News
Some time ago the country adopted the voting machine electoral system that gives the final results very quickly. Initially this system was presented as a great step forward; but then, suspicion of fraud entered the public mind.
Indeed, this system is the one responsible for bringing communist Lula da Silva twice to the presidency of Brazil, followed by the two terms of his disciple, the terrorist Dilma Rousseff. That 16-year experience with communist leaders has deeply marked the people’s mentality – to the point that it was due to their massive protest against Communism that Jair Bolsonaro won the presidency in 2018, even as the electronic machines were probably doing their best to diminish his votes.
During Bolsonaro’s term (2018-2022) he tried unsuccessfully to return to physical paper ballots. He only managed to have the most recent generation of voting machines audited. The older generations – about 70% of the machines – are not able to be audited.
After the results were issued in the first-round election on October 2, 2022, the majority of Brazilians was convinced that fraud had taken place. So, the truck drivers decided that if the “victory” were given to Lula in the runoff, they would close the freeways of Brazil. When the results in fact came as predicted, they started to close down the freeways on the very evening of October 30.
Many of the principal roads were completely shut down. The people welcomed the entourage of trucks with cheers, bringing the drivers food and drink and organizing places for them to bathe. Parallel to the truck drivers’ protest, massive demonstrations in cities across Brazil started. Entire populations of large and small cities took to the streets first to object to the election fraud, then the protest took an ideological note against Communism.
International political analyst Matthew Tyrmand reports on the situation in Brazil
These people are proclaiming that they will not accept a thief and a communist as their president. Their basic demands are:
- Annulment of the 2022 presidential election;
- Abolishment of the electronic voting system and a return to the paper ballot system;
- New elections;
- A provisory close of the Supreme Court and replacement of its communist members;
- Annulment of the fines the Supreme Court is issuing against those demonstrating in opposition to Lula.
Here, my readers may be asking for some explanations: How can it be proved that Lula stole the election? Why are the people calling for the closing of the Supreme Court?
Lula ladrão – Lula the thief
One of the slogans chanted endlessly by the people is Lula ladrão, teu lugar é na prisão – Lula you are a thief, you belong in prison.
Indeed, after he left the presidency, Lula was convicted of receiving an expensive luxury apartment on an exclusive beach in São Paulo in exchange for presidential favors. He was also convicted of the fraudulent acquisition of a ranch in the countryside of the same State. He was convicted and given 9 years in prison; he appealed his sentence to a higher court, which, instead of absolving him, extended his sentence to 12 years in prison. However, he only stayed behind bars for a little more than a year.
Lula was in prison for only more than one year out of the 12 he was sentenced to serve for corruption
In addition, according to the Brazilian law, a person cannot be president for more than two four-year terms of office, and Lula has already had two presidential terms. However, the Supreme Court again made an exception and allowed Lula to run for the third time.
A dictatorial Supreme Court
The Supreme Court of Justice in Brazil has 11 judges, 8 of whom were chosen by Lula or Dilma and are communists. Each State has an Electoral Court, all of which are under the Supreme Electoral Court (SEC), which has the final word in presidential elections. This Electoral Court is composed of seven justices, who include three members of the Supreme Court. The president of the Supreme Electoral Court is Justice Alexandre de Moraes, who also master-minded the “un-condemnation” of Lula and cleared his record so he could run.
Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes,
the dictator architect of the electoral fraud
Lately Moraes has taken many arbitrary actions, which include the following measures:
- He sent several politicians who disagree with his agenda to prison;
- He issued a prohibition for any person, press organ, or social media commentator to call Lula “thief” or “condemned” during the electoral campaign, under penalty of suspension followed by fine or arrest;
- He issued an order to arrest those demonstrating in public places, although the Federal and State Police have not enforced this order;
- He forbade truck drivers to bring their children to manifestations;
- He imposed a huge number of fines on truck drivers who do not obey his command to stop blocking the roads, with individual fines amounting to US $40,000.
- Most important, when the Minister of Defense Paulo Nogueira de Oliveira sent Moraes an extensive and detailed report on the irregularities of the voting machines, the latter disregarded the report, affirming that it would be taken into consideration for the next election, but not for the recent one of October 2022.
- On November 23, when Mr. Valdemar Costa Neto, president of the Liberal Party (PL) of Jair Bolsonaro, presented a detailed official report to the Supreme Electoral Court demonstrating the fraud in the October 30 runoff, Moraes arrogantly replied with a demand for him to present analogous evidence regarding the October 2 election within 24 hours. Until that document is presented, he ordered, the Liberal Party must pay a fine of about US $50,000 for each hour of delay – that is, around $1,200,000 per day.
Since this demand is impossible to fulfill quickly, the Liberal Party is expected to shoulder a fine that is growing exponentially larger. Need it be said that the absurd order is really nothing but a maneuver to divert attention from the accusation of fraud, which indirectly targets himself, Alexandre de Moraes, as the main perpetrator of the crime.
Millions protest against the fraudulent election & Communism - top: Rio; bottom: Brasilia
Indisputable electoral fraud
The electoral fraud can be demonstrated both empirically and technically.
Cities where, according to the SEC, Bolsonaro had zero votes in the runoff - a fraudulent count
- The empirical demonstration is that in the runoff hundreds of cities in Brazil – especially small towns – counted ZERO votes for Bolsonaro. Now then, many inhabitants of these cities have come out and publicly declared that they voted for him and are angrily asking why their votes were not counted.
- Another empirical evidence of fraud: In many electoral zones inside cities, the votes never appeared in the SEC website page reporting the election results; they were simply ignored.
- The SEC supposedly must report in full the election results on its website. But data that appeared on its page later disappeared from it, which also suggests fraud.
- Another simple means to demonstrate fraud is that in some States – Minas Gerais, for example – the Liberal Party governors and representatives who supported and were supported by Bolsonaro were elected by a large majority of the votes. However, in those same regions, Bolsonaro did not win.
- The technical way to demonstrate the fraud is an analysis of the voting machines. I am not an expert on this topic, but from what I can understand, the only machines that could be audited were those from 2020; the other older machines could not be checked. Now, it was these latter machines that recorded close to 70% of the ballots.
- The SEC did not allow access to the code used by these non-audited machines, which makes it impossible to confirm the results and leaves the final result to its own discretion.
The military, a deaf class
All of Brazil is calling for the military to enter the picture and restore the institutional order. As I write these lines Brazilians have been in the streets demonstrating for 31 days. But still the military has not acted.
The real heroes are those who did not give up no matter the hardships because they love Brazil
From the military no one expects prudence but courage. To the people their “prudence” looks like either fear or compromise.
Besides, this delay in acting is giving the internal enemy time to gather forces. For example, Moraes has summoned all of the State police chiefs to Brasilia, where he met with them with the indisputable aim of putting these powerful forces at his disposal.
So, the indecision of the military is giving Moraes means to trigger a civil war, where the State polices would take Lula’s side and the Army, Navy and Air Forces would fight for Bolsonaro. That it, the military’s “prudence” in not taking action is feeding a civil war.
Even if they act now, after 31 days of the people calling for them to intervene, they can no longer be considered as heroes. The heroes are the truck drivers who took a courageous position some hours after the election results were announced. The heroes are the people in the streets who all this time have been facing rain, cold and other hardships and who have not given up.
If the military do not act immediately, they will be considered not only as sluggards but as cowards. If they will allow Lula to take power, they will be considered traitors.